Another super easy rice recipe to pull off during the lazy weekends, when you do want to eat healthy but not slog in the kitchen for hours. This mixed vegeatble rice is a complete meal in itself and your can add chutney, raita, and papad to oomph up the lunch presentation!!
Ingredients (you will need):
Basmati rice - 1 cup
Salt, to taste
Cumin seeds, 1 tbsp
Green Peas, 1/2 cup
Carrots chopped, 1/2 cup
Garam Masala Powder, 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder, 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida powder, a pinch
Ghee/Clarified butter, 1 tablespoon
Water, 2 cups
1. Wash and soak the rice of your choice for atleast an hour before cooking. I have used basmati rice but you can choose any rice as per your preference.
2. Heat ghee in a pan and add asafoetida and cumin seeds, let them crackle.
3. Next add the remaining dry spices, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder and saute them for 30 seconds. Take care so as to not burn any of the spices.
4. Next add the veggies, I have used green peas and carrots, you can choose any vegetable you want!
5. Saute the vegetables for 30 seconds and add the soaked and drained rice with 2 cups of water. Let the rice boil and then simmer the flame and cover and cook the rice on a low flame. Keep stirring the rice after every 5 minutes or so, till the rice are fully cooked. Depending on the quantity of rice the cooking process may take somewhere between 15-20 minutes.
6. Yummy and delicious Mixed Vegetable Rice is ready. Serve with curd/raita/chutney/papad of your choice.
Let me know how the weekend and rice turned out for you!