Hope you had a good Diwali and are well recuperated from the hangover of sweets, just joking... Today, I bring another lentil recipe from my kitchen, the ghiya chane ki dal. Not many people like it and not many people cook it but actually, it is a very good source of protein and minerals. Being an amalgamation of both protein and veggie component it is good for kids as well. So, let's go ahead and make this sumptuous dal.
Ingredients (you will need):
Chane ki Dal/Split chickpea Lentil - 1 cup
Bottle Gourd/ Ghiya, 150 gms
Salt, to taste
Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder, 1/4 tsp
Amchoor Powder/Khatai/Dried Mango Powder, 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida powder/Heeng powder, a pinch
Ghee/Clarified butter, 1 tablespoon
Water, as required
1. Wash, peel and cut ghiya in small pieces. In a pressure cooker, add the ghiya with 1/8 tsp of turmeric and 1/4 tsp salt. Add 1 tbsp water and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
2. In another pressure cooker, heat the ghee.
3. Add cumin seeds and let them crackle/become aromatic.
4. Add asafoetide/hing powder and cook it for 5-10 seconds.
5. Add turmeric powder.
6. Add chili powder.
7. Add the washed dal to the pressure cooker along with salt (as per taste) and 2 cups of water.
8. Close the lid of the cooker and cook the dal for 5-10 minutes or till the dal becomes tender but not mushy.
9. Now add the cooked ghiya from step 1. Adjust the consistency of dal by adding some warm water if required. Cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
10. Next add amchoor powder and mix well.
11. Ghiya Chane ki Dal is ready to be served with hot rotis/rice. You can also add tadka (will share the recipe soon) on the top of the dal.
Do try this recipe and let me know your cooking experience in the comments below.