Winters and pakodas are almost synonymous in our home. So every weekend, we try to incorporate one or the other kind of fritters into our breakfast, be it a vegetable pakoda/bread pakoda. These pakodas/fritters are liked by old and young alike. You can make them for breakfast or for evening tea as per your preference. So, today let's make cottage cheese/paneer pakodas.
Ingredients (you will need):
Paneer/Cottage Cheese, 100 gms
Besan/Chickpea flour, 1 cup
Coriander leaves, chopped - a handful
Cumin seeds/Jeera, 1/2 tsp
Salt, to taste
Red chili powder, 1/2 tsp
Green Chilli, chopped - 1 small
Amchoor Powder, 1/2 tsp
Chaat Masala, 1/2 tsp
Baking soda, 1/4 tsp
Water, as required
Oil/ghee, for frying
1. In a bowl, mix together besan, fresh coriander leaves, cumin seeds, salt, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, chopped fresh green chili and baking soda. Make a slightly thick batter using water as required. Simultaneously, keep a kadai/wok with sufficient oil on gas flame for heating.
2. Cut panner into pieces as per your preference. I have cut them into small and thin square(ish) pieces. Next, I sprinkled half of the chaat masala on the paneer pieces to increase the flavor of the pakodas as paneer itself doesn't have any flavor.
3. In the prepared batter, add one table spoon of hot oil from the kadai/wok. Mix well. Dip the paneer pieces into the prepared batter and coat them evenly on all sides.
4. Place the pakodas into the hot oil for frying. Fry till the pakodas are nice and golden on all sides. I don't cook these pakodas twice as the paneer (being a protein) gets hard upon frying twice.
5. Sprinkle the remaining chaat masala on the pakodas before serving. Enjoy these hot and homemade pakodas with chutney/sauce/ketchup of your choice.
Hope you liked the simple recipe of making paneer pakodas. Let me know in the comments section below.