Today I am bringing a very simple and easy recipe of whole red lentil with you. This is a very basic recipe and your can further spice it up with varying the tadka for the dal. This recipe would find favour with kids and adults alike and doesn't take much time to cook. You can serve this dal with steaming rice/fulkas/flatbreads and it is a very good option for your husband's office lunch as well. So let's go ahead and start making this dal for lunch/dinner.
Kali Masoor ki Dal / Whole Red Lentil - 1 cup
Salt, to taste
Red Chilli Powder, 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder, 1/4 tsp
Tamarind Pulp, 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida powder/Heeng powder, a pinch
Ghee/Clarified butter, 1 tablespoon
Water, as required
1. Wash and soak the dal for 30 minutes in 3 cups of water.
2. In a pressure cooker, heat some ghee.
3. Add asafoetida and cumin seeds. Let the cumin seeds crackle.
4. Add turmeric powder. Keep the flame low so that the spices don't burn.
5. Add red chilli powder and saute for another 10 seconds.
3. Add the soaked dal/lentil along with the entire quantity of water. Add salt. Put the lid on and cook the dal for 1 whistle on high and then lower the flame and cook for another 10 minutes. Check if the dal is completely cooked, if not pressure cook for another 5 minutes or so. Let the steam subside on it's own before opening the cooker each time.
4. Add tamarind pulp to the cooked dal.
5. The dal is ready to serve. Place some chaunk/tadka or simply add some warm ghee before serving. You can serve this dal with steaming rice/fulkas for a sumptous lunch with the family.
Do cook and relish this kali masoor dal/ whole red lentil with your family and let me know your experiences in the comments section below.