In keeping with the hot climate, I am looking for foods which require minimal cooking and hence minimum time in the kitchen, are easy to prepare yet provide complete nutrition to the body. Pulao/pulav with the delicate blend of flavors and spices fits all the above requirements completely. You can include vegetables/lentils to increase the nutritional value of the same. Light on palette, easy to digest and quick to cook all make it a great and versatile recipe. Today I am sharing with you my recipe of chana dal pulao. It's a hit with my family and hopefully will be with yours too!
Ingredients (you will need):
Basmati rice - 1 cup
Chana Dal/Split chick peas - 1/2 cup
Salt, to taste
Cumin seeds, 1 tsp
Garam Masala Whole, 1/2 tsp
Ghee/Clarified butter, 1 tablespoon
Water, 3.5 cups
1. Wash and soak the rice and dal together for atleast an hour before cooking. I have used basmati rice but you can choose any rice as per your preference. I have used 3 cups of water for 1 cup of rice and 1/2 cup dal.
2. In a pan/kadai, heat 1 tbsp clarified butter/ghee. Add the whole garam masala (comprising cloves, black peppercorns/kali mirch, cumin seeds/jeera, cinnamon stick/dalchini, bay leaf/tejpatta, star anise/chakra phool, green cardamom and mace/javitri).
3. Saute the whole spices till fragrant.
4. Add in the dal and chawal along with water and salt. Cover and cook till the rice and dal are cooked. Mine took 15 minutes to cook.
5. Healthy and fragrant rice are ready to be devoured as such or with curd and chutney of your choice.
Do enjoy this amazingly simple recipe with your family and friends and let me know your experience in the comments section below.